Monday, April 21, 2014
The "Wilson" Effect
I had quite a successful presentation today in existentialism, if my general observations are correct. While there were multiple strong discussions that took place during our presentation, I was most strongly interested in the so called “Wilson effect” that became a hot topic during discussion of self and the Other. The question goes as such, if there was a human being born and raised in complete isolation from any other mind, would that human have a concept of self or being? Many of the participants suggested that the human in this case would create there own version of the Other, much in the same way Tom Hanks created Wilson when he was stranded in the movie Castaway. While this seemed to be a popular solution, I’m not sure that it would hold true for someone who had never experienced another conscious entity. According to Sartre, it is the look of others that creates the foundation for our being. Without the Other there to reflect upon and become objectified, a conscious being can never move from the subjective I to the objective me. While I remained convinced that a person born and raised in isolation would have no concept of self, there was an interesting point raised about potentially absorbing the Other and making it a part of our own consciousness. This is at least suggested by Sartre, when he says we have to take the freedom of the Other, but the suggestion was to reflect inwardly upon one’s self, effectively becoming one’s own Other. This seems to be similar to what Tom Hanks’ character did in Castaway, only rather than creating the Other inside his own consciousness, he instead gave it a physical form in the volleyball known as Wilson. While I am not even sure that this type of reflective conflict with a manufactured Other is possible, I certainly remain interested in the idea and plan to ponder it further.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi, Ryan. I liked your post about “the Wilson Effect.” Did you come up with that name?
ReplyDeleteThis post is going to address the question you raised: “If there was a human being born and raised in complete isolation from any other mind, would that human have a concept of self or being?”
I think 'self' can be identified in multiple ways. Such as: I am an unique being from my environment. This is probably the level of most animals. They understand they need to eat some parts of the world around them an escape others. So, if a human was completely isolated on an island, they would at least understand that. But this is not what Sartre was talking about (maybe Heidegger did, but honestly I barely understand his writing).
Instead, I think Sartre talks about knowing yourself through someone else's eyes. Like in Nausea when Antoine Roquentin sees himself in the mirror and sees a stranger and a void.
“People who live in society have learned how to see themselves in mirrors as they appear to their friends. I have no friends. Is that why my flesh is so naked?”
Without friends to interact with, Roquentin's identity continues to deteriorate. It is moments with the Self-Taught man and Anny that Roquentin can see how much he has changed. Otherwise he is just an observer.
One cannot know themselves except through others. This is true of sociology too. Charles Cooley talked about the looking-glass self. The idea that we think of ourselves the way we think that others think of us. Or in other words, I think I am X because I believe others think X about me. It doesn't matter whether or not others do think X about me, its just my perception of the other that define me.
I wonder if a person would have introspection or the ability to think about thinking if they were the only entity in existence? I don't think so. We can only achieve metacognition after language has come into existence. That's what Rousseau said of language. Language, society and identity are all codependent.
So, would a person isolated to an abstract degree have a sense of identity? Maybe, but they might be lacking in introspection. If the person existed alone in the universe and had no input from anything since nothing existed external to him or her, then I believe that person wouldn't have any identity at all.