With the final week of my freshman year of college here at ASU upon me, and the impending existentialism paper that will serve as my ticket out of my first full year of college, I have turned my existential thoughts towards meaning in life. In a way, I almost almost ashamed that this is the topic that has so strongly grasped me during these final weeks, it almost appears as a confirmation of the negative consequences I was told of when I decided to leave my family’s religion just over a year ago. However I do not feel that these questions are an indication that I need a supreme being in my life, rather these questions stem from a genuine understanding of my place in the universe and the ramifications of my imminent, and potentially eternal, death and non-existence. It is this same comprehension of my physical place in this vast cosmos that leads me to seek to do something of value with the little time I have on this planet. This is where my search for meaning comes from. Not from the supposed existence of a supreme power that manifests itself through corrupt churches and lying prophets, but from the very essence of Da-Sein itself. Although I feel much more confident in my beliefs now then I did before I left the church, I find that I have far fewer answers for questions, such as meaning, than I had when I was religious. While this would seem to be a negative, I actually find that I am far more comfortable seeking my own definition for meaning in life than I ever was subscribing to and defending the views given to me by others. It is strange, in a way, my grasping attempts to make sense of existence are far more satisfying than living with absolute knowledge that was not my own. Perhaps meaning in life does not exist as an objective value that can ever be known, but rather a metaphysical state that exists in conscious beings when they begin to question their own existence, almost a sign to ourselves that we truly are self aware, and that we are seeking answers.
thanks for the parting thoughts, I'm glad to see you got a lot out of the course. I don't know what your major currently is, but you really ought to consider picking up philosophy as a minor or even a double major. To add philosophy as a major would only require 33 hours of philosophy courses; three of which you've already completed. If you are just finishing your first year, you could add philosophy as another major and still graduate in four years. I think you will find philosophy especially helpful in sorting through some of these deep questions you've been asking, and it will give you better writing skills than most of your peers. I would really considerate it, if I were you. I think you'd be good at it.
ReplyDelete